The video features a group of unnamed black kids, purportedly from Ferguson, reciting parts of a script that’s clearly been written by adults. A script that will make you think race is solely a black and white issue, by the way. Even if the children are from Ferguson, it’s unclear if or how they’ve been compensated. Either way, the idea that these kids are from Ferguson is paraded for consumption.
Towards the end, a white adult and a black adult make nice and encourage viewers to buy a FCKH8.com T-shirt. Five dollars from each shirt will supposedly go to unidentified “charities working in communities to fight racism.” Which charities? Who knows! What communities? Can’t tell you.
The video concludes with a dedication, “For Mike,” and a quiet scene from the Ferguson street on which Michael Brown was killed by officer Darren Wilson more than a month ago.
The company behind the video, FCKH8.com, has made a name for itself selling what it calls “LGBT Equality Gear” (which sort of covers some LGB themes, but sort of leaves the T part out). It’s now trying to do the same with its “Anti-Racism Gear.” According to its website, FCKH8.com “recently became owned and managed by Synergy Media,” a corporate branding firm whose clients include Magnum bodybuilding vitamin supplements and pretty offensive “Buckeye Boob T’s” (the latter despite the fact that FCKH8.com says it’s anti-sexist).
There’s an entire economy around black death—and this ad campaign illustrates it all too well. Ironically, this economy’s profit margins depend on upholding the very racism this video claims to want to eliminate.
So there you have it, folks. Everything, it seems, can distilled, packaged, bought and sold—including racism."
TLDR: do not buy the shirts being sold by fckh8!
Read it again: EVERY. SINGLE. REPUBLICAN. Yes, that includes women.
Things that say a lot about people:
- the way which they treat the waiter/waitress
- how they feel about the weather
- whether they dog ear pages or highlight in books
- and hands in general
- their preferred creative outlet
- how much they dread/enjoy talking on the phone
- whether or not they drink coffee
- if they ever forget to eat
- how honest they are with themselves (and others)
- if they correct your grammar
- how they treat their parents
- Most media falsely portrayed Ferguson protests as riots and Mike Brown as a criminal
- Grand jury now has until JANUARY to decide whether to charge Darren Wilson (x) (x) (x) (x)
- Congresswoman Elanor H. Norton stands with Ferguson
- Ferguson teach-in tomorrow
- National labor leader says unions, like the nation, must confront racism
Sasha Luss for Ulyana Sergeenko
me: *sees a white boy* *locks my car doors*
white boy: *knocks on window* what would you be doing if I was in there with you ;)
see how little we get taught about history - I never had any idea why Malcolm X used the ‘X’.
How come I didn’t know this
Also that crusty old white man called the named ‘gifted’. Jesus.
things i like:
things i do not like:
- reading for a grade
- learning for a grade
so basically school ruins my motivation for things